I can’t even find the end of my to do list. It seems like every day I have more books to read, more tasks to get done and more responsibilities. My desk is getting full of papers, things I need to file and e-mails to read. I can’t get ahead, in fact I am feeling that dreaded word — overwhelmed.
I sit back in my chair and sigh. This is not the life I signed up for. I was looking for relaxation, fun and peace. When I started my business the opposite of this happened I manifested chaos.
In order to make the changes I needed in my life I had to look at the Sacred 6 process. I went through the my values, reviewed my goals and learned the importance of priorities. The reason I was overwhelmed was I didn’t know what was important in my life. That is where the Sacred 6 changed everything for me.
One of the first things that you need to do when you are feeling overwhelm is to figure out what are the most important things you need to do. I was trying to do everything at once, and was getting nothing done — except a long to do list. Once I figured out the process and what was important, I was able to take overwhelm out of my vocabulary.
Here are some tips and ideas that will help you overcome overwhelm once and for all:
1. Do a Sacred 6 weekend. Spend a weekend reading the Sacred 6 book and do the course that comes with the book. Take a few hours each day over a few days. This is a very powerful way to get organized and I would suggest doing this once a year. If you are interested in attending one of my Sacred 6 weekends just shoot me an e-mail here, and I will put you on the list for my next one.
2. Learn to say no. This is a critical step. One that most of us givers have a problem with. As you will see in the Sacred 6 you can only have a few things going on at one time. This will force you to say no more. This works for work, as well as life. You can’t have too many projects at work either or you will not get things done well. It is your responsibility to verbalize this to your managers or human resources.
3. Set up some family rules. If you are running the household, which is the same as running a business. You need to set up some expectations and rules for the family. Each member of the family should know what is expected and what should be done. Even if you are single you can do this by putting a schedule together when you shop, cook, take the garbage out, etc.
4. Get help and hire a coach. Three are times when you need to find help, and it is ok to ask for help. I will be providing more resources if you are looking for a great coach, but you can also look into my two programs – MorningCoach.com and LifeDesignMentor.com when it is open.
5. Take overwhelm out of your vocabulary. Stop telling everyone you are overwhelmed. Just by changing your vocabulary you can find some more peace. Your self-talk can be critical on the way you feel and the way you get organized.
6. Get to work. The only way to get things done is focus on them. I had this article on my list and was struggling to find a time to fit it in. I finally grabbed the laptop and headed out of the house to a private place I could type it up. Sometimes, you just have to grab the shovel and dig in.
You can overcome your overwhelm and you can have more peace. I have built processes to help you, but you must buy into them and commit to them. I you do this half way it will just add to the list. These processes are meant to be worked, and done with consistency. If you focus on 1% a day, and work to get better, I promise you more peace, joy, happiness and love ahead.
Massive love to you,